Old 15-07-2003, 04:00 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Pump Question

"Judy" wrote in message
om...
Is possible to put together a veggie filter with the pump inside the
veggie filter to pull water from the pond into the veggie filter and
back out again into the pond. My prior veggie filter intake water from
a becket submerged pump in the pond. Any ideas? What kind of pump
would be recommended? My pond is 12'by 10' and 3 and half feet deep.

Judy...I have this very design, as the peanut gallery has so graciously
pointed out. My reservoir pond has a bottom drain, plumbed with 4'' PVC.
This pipe runs under ground and enters my VF through the side, and near the
bottom. Since the pipe is below the water level of the reservoir pond, the
VF fills with water to match the main pond. My pump, a 1000GPH Becket then
pumps water from the VF back to the reservoir pond. My inlet and my pump are
on different ends of the pond, allowing big solids to fall out before
arriving at my pump.

All of my plumbing is below ground, so no aeration occurs (well some, but
that was by accident, and is not enough). I have a second pump that I plan
to use for a water fall for aeration. That pump is currently just splashing
water around in the VF.

My reservoir pond is 13'x10' at it's widest and longest, and 42'' deep at
it's deepest. My VF is barely a foot deep at it's deepest. It is about
10'x4'.

I plan on altering my VF a bit, as I did not grade my yard well, and the VF
is much higher then I wanted it, so I have a lot of exposed liner. I don't
know what solution I will use yet, but I am working on some ideas. Either
way, it is deep enough and has enough surface area to filter my pond nicely.

BV.