Old 15-07-2003, 05:25 AM
Judy

Default Pump Question

Is possible to put together a veggie filter with the pump inside the
veggie filter to pull water from the pond into the veggie filter and
back out again into the pond. My prior veggie filter intake water from
a becket submerged pump in the pond. Any ideas? What kind of pump
would be recommended? My pond is 12'by 10' and 3 and half feet deep.
Thanks Judy
Old 15-07-2003, 05:34 AM
John Rutz

--
sure you can if the VF is slightly lower than the pond
BV is an expert on reverse flowing veggie filters

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-07-2003, 07:54 AM
infoseeker

I'm a total newbie, so my suggestion may be WAY off track with your meaning;
but I made an 'accidental' filter. I bought a pretty bamboo spout and
attached it to the hose from the pump. The hose from the pump is bigger
than the plastic hose that runs through the bamboo. At any rate, the bamboo
spout comes out over a pot with lots of rocks in it (and a few marginal
plants on one side). Because the hose is a different size, part of the
pumped pond water comes out (leaking) from the hose size difference into the
rocks, and the rest of it goes out the spout. The flow out of the spout is
enough for me, so it de facto, is working like a little filter (I think).
And when I first turned it on in this set up, a bunch of little pieces came
out of the 'leak' I think because it's heavier matter, and couldn't make the
turn in the hose.

I don't know if this helps. (I'm taking veggie filter to mean a non
chemical form of filtering). If I'm way off, sorry! - have a good laugh at
my expense.
B-Infoseeker

Old 15-07-2003, 09:54 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Ditto what John said. This is right up BV's alley, he's an almost pro now.
;o) Seriously, BV just got done designing his (with RP help), so watch for
his post. ~ jan

Judy wrote:
Is possible to put together a veggie filter with the pump inside the
veggie filter to pull water from the pond into the veggie filter and
back out again into the pond. My prior veggie filter intake water from
a becket submerged pump in the pond. Any ideas? What kind of pump
would be recommended? My pond is 12'by 10' and 3 and half feet deep.
Thanks Judy

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 15-07-2003, 03:58 PM
BenignVanilla

"Judy" wrote in message
om...
Is possible to put together a veggie filter with the pump inside the
veggie filter to pull water from the pond into the veggie filter and
back out again into the pond. My prior veggie filter intake water from
a becket submerged pump in the pond. Any ideas? What kind of pump
would be recommended? My pond is 12'by 10' and 3 and half feet deep.

Judy...I have this very design, as the peanut gallery has so graciously
pointed out. My reservoir pond has a bottom drain, plumbed with 4'' PVC.
This pipe runs under ground and enters my VF through the side, and near the
bottom. Since the pipe is below the water level of the reservoir pond, the
VF fills with water to match the main pond. My pump, a 1000GPH Becket then
pumps water from the VF back to the reservoir pond. My inlet and my pump are
on different ends of the pond, allowing big solids to fall out before
arriving at my pump.

All of my plumbing is below ground, so no aeration occurs (well some, but
that was by accident, and is not enough). I have a second pump that I plan
to use for a water fall for aeration. That pump is currently just splashing
water around in the VF.

My reservoir pond is 13'x10' at it's widest and longest, and 42'' deep at
it's deepest. My VF is barely a foot deep at it's deepest. It is about
10'x4'.

I plan on altering my VF a bit, as I did not grade my yard well, and the VF
is much higher then I wanted it, so I have a lot of exposed liner. I don't
know what solution I will use yet, but I am working on some ideas. Either
way, it is deep enough and has enough surface area to filter my pond nicely.

BV.

Old 15-07-2003, 04:00 PM
BenignVanilla

"Judy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Zone 6...To Pump or not to pump? BenignVanilla Ponds 6 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
Pump in or Pump out? Szpond Ponds 5 15-11-2003 05:32 PM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 07:56 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM