Old 16-07-2003, 03:43 AM
LYNN FORRES

Default what type of cement to use for pond?

I had a pond poured about 6 months ago - just now getting around to setting
it up. We had reg. portland used to form. (7'x7'x2') Thought I had to use
pool paint (Latex) to seal but didn't want to have a turquoise colored pond
that looked like a swimming pool.. No one here in Texas recommend black
paint due to the heat we have - too warm for fish. Then I talked to another
pond experienced friend who did not paint his concrete - just let it cure
over time - fill it, empty it, several times to rid the surface of toxins.
That's where I am, and I'm going to leave it natural. I really prefer the
color of cement and the patina I will get over time. I don't have a drain,
but I did allow for overrun holes below the brink ledge, that is above
grade, in case of our Texas deluge rains. Now I need to know about
filtration systems, chemical testing, etc. I had planned to have nice
goldfish and plants but a friend has rescued a pond full of koi from a house
sale, and wants me to come and get 'em. Never had koi, but I'm going to try
some. I hope this is somewhat useful information, and any you can share
would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"matt clark" wrote in message
om...
I am putting a new pond in my back yard. It is my first time doing a
project like this. I have pretty much got the hole dug at about 3'5"
and i have already purchased the rebar. My problem is that i cant seem
to figure out the best type of concrete to create a liner. I was told
gunite and portland. but im not sure. Also will I have to seal it
regardless of what type of cement i use? Soo many questions. Also if
anyone has any tips i would appreciate any help on sealing the drain
or plumbing tips.

Thanks in advance.