Old 16-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Roger Grady

Default Toads are back!

"Lee Brouillet" wrote:
Our Southern Toads are "good" for about 4 cycles each Spring/Summer. Their
trilling is pretty nice, except when you get a whole slew of them in the
pond, in which case they become deafening! The large ones are females, and
the smaller ones are males. They are extremely single minded, and don't stop
what they're doing for any*one* or any*thing*. The first time my grandson
saw them, he thought the big ones were giving the little ones swimming
lessons (I hope he still thinks that way!) I've scooped them out of the pond
and deposited them in the plants in the garden, and even *that* doesn't
interrupt them. If you only have a couple of males singing for the ladies,
enjoy them!

Oh I do enjoy them - this is the first time I've heard them around
here other than in the spring and I was curious if they do this
elsewhere. Maybe I have a southern toad who hitched a ride north.

They certainly are focused on their work when singing. I've patted
them on the back and poked at their throat sack with no effect on the
trilling. I wish I could ignore distractions like that - I wouldn't
always be forgetting what I was doing :-).

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address