Old 09-07-2003, 03:14 AM
Roger Grady

Default Toads are back!

For the last few days I've had a toad singing in my pond (N. central
Indiana). Yesterday there were 2 of them. Maybe one was a female as
I've only heard one sing, but they were acting like two males (the
singing one appeared to be trying to chase the other one away). I've
never seen them in the pond before except in the spring. Is this
common or do I just have toads that can't read the calendar?

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Old 09-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Lee Brouillet

Our Southern Toads are "good" for about 4 cycles each Spring/Summer. Their
trilling is pretty nice, except when you get a whole slew of them in the
pond, in which case they become deafening! The large ones are females, and
the smaller ones are males. They are extremely single minded, and don't stop
what they're doing for any*one* or any*thing*. The first time my grandson
saw them, he thought the big ones were giving the little ones swimming
lessons (I hope he still thinks that way!) I've scooped them out of the pond
and deposited them in the plants in the garden, and even *that* doesn't
interrupt them. If you only have a couple of males singing for the ladies,
enjoy them!

Old 16-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Roger Grady

"Lee Brouillet" wrote:
Our Southern Toads are "good" for about 4 cycles each Spring/Summer. Their
trilling is pretty nice, except when you get a whole slew of them in the
pond, in which case they become deafening! The large ones are females, and
the smaller ones are males. They are extremely single minded, and don't stop
what they're doing for any*one* or any*thing*. The first time my grandson
saw them, he thought the big ones were giving the little ones swimming
lessons (I hope he still thinks that way!) I've scooped them out of the pond
and deposited them in the plants in the garden, and even *that* doesn't
interrupt them. If you only have a couple of males singing for the ladies,
enjoy them!

Oh I do enjoy them - this is the first time I've heard them around
here other than in the spring and I was curious if they do this
elsewhere. Maybe I have a southern toad who hitched a ride north.

They certainly are focused on their work when singing. I've patted
them on the back and poked at their throat sack with no effect on the
trilling. I wish I could ignore distractions like that - I wouldn't
always be forgetting what I was doing :-).

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 12:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 03:35 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 12:32 AM
Toads Pamcel United Kingdom 4 29-03-2003 11:44 AM
toads in MD [email protected] Ponds 8 11-03-2003 12:48 AM