Old 16-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Cass

Default Sources???

In article , J. Del Col
wrote:

Cass wrote in message
In article , paul simdars
wrote:

No one even knows of sources I could go to about growing roses in Costa
Rica? If I can't grow roses then I'll have to chose a different country.
I thought everything sounded great but then someone says it can rain a
lot.
I don't think the roses would like that.
Any leads?
Thanks

I tried the google advanced search for roses Costa Rica - send -
flowers. It didn't turn up much. Up in the highlands, there will be
roses. They grow roses all up and down the Andean cordillera, so I'd
expect Costa Rica to have a suitable zone, with fabulous volcanic
soils. Heck, they grow roses in Ecuador right on the equator, so roses
probably grow in Costa Rica too.

I guess availability will be the issue. You might need to import.

http://www.geographia.com/costa-rica/

They mention roses in the botanical garden. If roses grow in Hawaii,
they must grow in Costa Rica!

If I lived in Costa Rica, I'd grow orchids and say to hell with roses.

And bougainvillea.

The roses in Ecuador may grow at higher, cooler altitudes.

Yep, 8000 ft.