Old 15-07-2003, 10:06 PM
paul simdars

Default Sources???

No one even knows of sources I could go to about growing roses in Costa
Rica? If I can't grow roses then I'll have to chose a different country.
I thought everything sounded great but then someone says it can rain a lot.
I don't think the roses would like that.
Any leads?
Thanks

Old 15-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Anne Lurie

Paul,

You seem to have asked a tough question! Googling for Costa Rica + rose
just turned up lots of send-flowers sites.

Here's one I turned up by going to Yahoo, Countries, Costa Rica, then
searching for "gardening": http://www.heliconiadelcaribe.com/ They don't
mention roses, but at least they are in Costa Rica growing something! If
you email them, they might be able to give you some ideas.

As for the climate, yes I think it rains a lot in the rainforest areas of
Costa Rica; however, I believe that there are several different climates
there, and it might be possible to grow roses somewhere in the country.

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 16-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Cass

In article , paul simdars
wrote:

No one even knows of sources I could go to about growing roses in Costa
Rica? If I can't grow roses then I'll have to chose a different country.
I thought everything sounded great but then someone says it can rain a lot.
I don't think the roses would like that.
Any leads?
Thanks

I tried the google advanced search for roses Costa Rica - send -
flowers. It didn't turn up much. Up in the highlands, there will be
roses. They grow roses all up and down the Andean cordillera, so I'd
expect Costa Rica to have a suitable zone, with fabulous volcanic
soils. Heck, they grow roses in Ecuador right on the equator, so roses
probably grow in Costa Rica too.

I guess availability will be the issue. You might need to import.

http://www.geographia.com/costa-rica/

They mention roses in the botanical garden. If roses grow in Hawaii,
they must grow in Costa Rica!
Old 16-07-2003, 03:02 PM
J. Del Col

Cass wrote in message ...
In article , paul simdars
wrote:

[...]

If I lived in Costa Rica, I'd grow orchids and say to hell with roses.

The roses in Ecuador may grow at higher, cooler altitudes.

J. Del Col
Old 16-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Cass

In article , J. Del Col
wrote:

Cass wrote in message
In article , paul simdars
wrote:

[...]

And bougainvillea.

The roses in Ecuador may grow at higher, cooler altitudes.

Yep, 8000 ft.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Cass

In article , J. Del Col