Old 17-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default lilac tree

In article ,
David P wrote:

some 15 years ago we were given a young lilac tree which was moved with
us to our next home around 13 years ago [the tree would have been around
2 or 3 yrs old at that time.

We hae moved again but the tree stayed at our old house [bear with me,
I'm getting there]. It threw out a sucker growth from the root about 4
years ago.

Can the sucker root be severed from the main tree and moved to our
current home?

Very likely. If, upon digging it up, it has no roots of its own,
then it will probably die. But doing so shouldn't harm the main
plant. I would certainly try it, and have succeeded with several
plants like that - and failed with others.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.