Old 15-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Plum

Default lilac tree

My lilac tree is about five years old. Today I noticed that some of the
leaves have been partially eaten, by some insect or grub which was not
present when I looked. Is this damage/infestation likely to be serious, and
if so how can I treat it?

Julia P

Old 16-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Plum wrote:
My lilac tree is about five years old. Today I noticed that some of the
leaves have been partially eaten, by some insect or grub which was not
present when I looked. Is this damage/infestation likely to be serious, and
if so how can I treat it?

Probably not. I have quite a lot of different plants like that, and
it is rarely worth bothering to deal with. Most plants are well
adapted to losing a few leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Evelyn Usher

I would love a Lilac tree. How big to they grow? Would they be any good in a sheltered garden in the
North of Scotland?

--
Evelyn

Old 16-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Evelyn Usher wrote:

I would love a Lilac tree. How big to they grow? Would they be any good in a sheltered garden in the
North of Scotland?

10' or so, in practice. As far as I know, they are pretty tough and
so should grow with you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-07-2003, 11:34 AM

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
.. .
:
: I would love a Lilac tree. How big to they grow? Would they be any good
in a sheltered garden in the
: North of Scotland?
:
: --
: Evelyn
:
I bought a standard one in a pot from T & M who were selling them off half
price. It's in its first year, so hasn't bloomed yet and it stands about
3.5 to 4 ft + large pot.

Old 17-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David P wrote:

some 15 years ago we were given a young lilac tree which was moved with
us to our next home around 13 years ago [the tree would have been around
2 or 3 yrs old at that time.

We hae moved again but the tree stayed at our old house [bear with me,
I'm getting there]. It threw out a sucker growth from the root about 4
years ago.

Can the sucker root be severed from the main tree and moved to our
current home?

Very likely. If, upon digging it up, it has no roots of its own,
then it will probably die. But doing so shouldn't harm the main
plant. I would certainly try it, and have succeeded with several
plants like that - and failed with others.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-07-2003, 10:16 AM

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
.. .
:
: I would love a Lilac tree. How big to they grow? Would they be any good
in a sheltered garden in the
: North of Scotland?
:
: --
: Evelyn

I posted this yesterday but it didn't appear on my browser. Apologies if
you have already seen it.
:
I bought a standard one in a pot from T & M who were selling them off half
price. It's in its first year, so hasn't bloomed yet and it stands about
3.5 to 4 ft + large pot.

making a lilac tree a Bonsai Gardening1 Bonsai 0 11-07-2009 10:46 AM
Shaping Lilac Tree Ben[_4_] Gardening 2 03-06-2008 09:29 PM
Creosote in soil kills lilac tree Snowflake United Kingdom 5 30-03-2007 02:07 PM
Texas Lilac "vitex" tree? John Texas 6 09-08-2005 10:50 PM
lilac tree Plum United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 11:03 PM