Old 17-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Anne Lurie

Default Baby blue herring?

I might have guessed [Double-Crested] Cormorant, except for the size you
mentioned in your earlier post, as cormorants are much bigger than wood
ducks.

Cormorants are generally despised by fishermen across the country; keep in
mind, however, that cormorants are also probably protected under the
Migratory Bird Act (or whatever the name is).

Also, Sam, just a gentle reminder: according to your post in the "walking
bridge" thread above (and your earlier posts about the *amazing* work you
have done on your property!), you've been "developing the area to be a
wildlife reserve."

BTW, I realize this is rec.ponds, so most of us are more concerned with
saving fish, but I think a cormorant or two would pale in comparison to the
damage that swans could do if they find your pond!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
Yeah it looks like it was a cormorant. I'm going to find it's nest

tomorrow
after work. They're a fish eater *GASP*.

"T. Barnes" wrote in message

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the same

size of
a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black or

VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in trees.

I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's colors

yet.
I'm
in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

A night heron? I have one on my farm pond nesting this year, they do

perch in
trees but I usually seem them lurking around the edges in underbrush. Do

Google search for heron pictures.
BTW...they eat fish.
jtb