Old 16-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Baby blue herring?

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the same size of
a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black or VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in trees. I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's colors yet. I'm
in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

Old 17-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Anne Lurie

I might have guessed [Double-Crested] Cormorant, except for the size you
mentioned in your earlier post, as cormorants are much bigger than wood
ducks.

Cormorants are generally despised by fishermen across the country; keep in
mind, however, that cormorants are also probably protected under the
Migratory Bird Act (or whatever the name is).

Also, Sam, just a gentle reminder: according to your post in the "walking
bridge" thread above (and your earlier posts about the *amazing* work you
have done on your property!), you've been "developing the area to be a
wildlife reserve."

BTW, I realize this is rec.ponds, so most of us are more concerned with
saving fish, but I think a cormorant or two would pale in comparison to the
damage that swans could do if they find your pond!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
Yeah it looks like it was a cormorant. I'm going to find it's nest

tomorrow
after work. They're a fish eater *GASP*.

"T. Barnes" wrote in message

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the same

size of
a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black or

VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in trees.

I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's colors

yet.
I'm
in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

A night heron? I have one on my farm pond nesting this year, they do

perch in
trees but I usually seem them lurking around the edges in underbrush. Do

Google search for heron pictures.
BTW...they eat fish.
jtb

Old 17-07-2003, 12:40 AM

If it goes for the fish it's gone, I don't care what color.
Use brooms, snow shovels, ect.

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
Roybn emailed that it may be a cormorant and I think it is. More info to
come.

Sam

Old 17-07-2003, 01:54 AM
Hank Pagel

Try looking for the Green Heron it is much smaller and darker. There
also is a lesser blue heron that is smaller. Go to the link below and
than change the last 5 numbers to your zip code to see the birds in
that family in your area.
http://www.enature.com/localguide/lo...ipco de=08742

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
Thanks for the input but that's not him. This sucker was black and

the night
heron has white in it.

"T. Barnes" wrote in message

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the

same
size of
a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black

or VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in

trees. I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's

colors yet.
I'm
in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

A night heron? I have one on my farm pond nesting this year,

they do
perch in
trees but I usually seem them lurking around the edges in

underbrush. Do a

Old 17-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

"T. Barnes" wrote in message

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the same

size of

a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black or VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in trees. I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's colors yet.

I'm

in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

A night heron? I have one on my farm pond nesting this year, they do

perch in

trees but I usually seem them lurking around the edges in underbrush. Do a
Google search for heron pictures.
BTW...they eat fish.
jtb

Then I think it may be a green heron. But that one doesn't
have a goose neck. In fact, it's neck it short, but the
size is about the same as a wood duck.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Sam Hopkins wrote:
Roybn emailed that it may be a cormorant and I think it is. More info to
come.

Sam

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the same size

of

a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black or VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in trees. I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's colors yet.

I'm

in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

Didn't think of that. We have them at the local reservoir.
Neat bird to watch. They dive deep and come up at a great
distance from where they enter the water. I had forgotten
the size of your pond/lake ;-)

Old 17-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

Welp cormorants are pretty big birds and this sucker was only the size of a
wood duck. It's possible it was an immature one or a immature Glossy Ibis
since it's "dark" and has a goose neck also. I dont remember the beak being
that big though. I'm gonna try to track it down and find it's nest and see
if I can get a better look with some binoculars.

I did see a few weeks ago in the field a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron which
was AMAZING.

I dont mind these birds living there I had just hoped it would be later
rather than sooner. I just stocked the pond a few weeks ago and was hoping
to get the fish population started before predators moved in. =(

Old 17-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
Sam Hopkins wrote:

Roybn emailed that it may be a cormorant and I think it is. More info to
come.

Sam

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the same size

of

a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black or VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in trees. I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's colors yet.

I'm

in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

Didn't think of that. We have them at the local reservoir. Neat bird
to watch. They dive deep and come up at a great distance from where
they enter the water. I had forgotten the size of your pond/lake ;-)

Forget what I said. My head isn't working this morning. I
was thinking of a loon! That's the one that dives and comes
up far away!

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
planting blue rug juniper and blue star juniper sams Gardening 1 24-04-2004 01:02 PM
Baby blue herring? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 16-07-2003 07:39 PM
Question about Blue Herring daytripper Ponds 13 30-04-2003 04:57 AM
Blue Tomatoes/Blue tomatoe seeds old whats his name Edible Gardening 2 23-04-2003 06:32 AM