Old 17-07-2003, 01:54 AM
Hank Pagel

Default Baby blue herring?

Try looking for the Green Heron it is much smaller and darker. There
also is a lesser blue heron that is smaller. Go to the link below and
than change the last 5 numbers to your zip code to see the birds in
that family in your area.
http://www.enature.com/localguide/lo...ipco de=08742

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
Thanks for the input but that's not him. This sucker was black and

the night
heron has white in it.

"T. Barnes" wrote in message

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the

same
size of
a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black

or VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in

trees. I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's

colors yet.
I'm
in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

A night heron? I have one on my farm pond nesting this year,

they do
perch in
trees but I usually seem them lurking around the edges in

underbrush. Do a
Google search for heron pictures.
BTW...they eat fish.
jtb