Old 17-07-2003, 02:10 AM
Fred Holt

Default What's eating my trees?

I arived at several nersreys this evening with my damaged leaves, alas,
after each had closed so I turn here for advice....

I more or less suddenly have a couple of problems in the front yard of my
new (well new to me) home. The yard, and especially the "natural area" is
a bit overgrown, and has a few large trees, so quite a bit of shade, but it
features a mature dogwood (about 20ft) which has leaves which are
shriveling, and have quite a bit of brown spots on both top and bottom of
the leaves. I dosed it with Immunox (the only fungicide at Lowes?) a couple
of weeks ago, but no improvement yet (no worse though). Any
recommendations?

Worse, is the wholesale slaughter of my Japanese Maple trees. I have 2 hear
the front door, and they're being eaten to death by what my coworkers say is
Japanese Beetles. I noticed the beetles a couple of weeks ago in the
gladiolas - and so hung a bab-a-bug in the natural area, which is catching a
fair amount, but within the last couple of days, the maples are suddenly
taking it hard. So - what to do there? More traps, some sevin dust? liquid
pesticides? I don't mind using chemicals, but don't want to damage the
trees any further.

Thanks,
- F