Old 17-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default snow peas

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the variety is
Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I pick them? As soon
as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I let them fill out just a
little -- where I can see the immature peas bulging the pods? Thanks.

Bob

Oregons have always been one of my favorite and most productive snow
peas. They are prolific here in 5b Missouri if we get them in very
early (like end of Feb if the ground can be worked). They can and do
get huge (and tough) if you let them. I also like to pick them when
they are about 3-4 inches. In the past we grew them closely spaced in
double rows about a foot apart in long informal raised beds so they kind
of support each other. They grow very densely, that way, fully
covering a four-foot wide bed to a height of maybe a foot and one half
at their peak. But picking is not so easy that way so we may start
double trellising them instead. We are open for ideas.