Old 17-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Theo Asir

Default Bloom & basal problems.

"Jane Lumley" wrote in message
In article eb126479b41e6931c6caa1a88f1b2659@TeraNews, Theo Asir
writes
Louise Odier
Last year as a 4' shrub I got 4 distinct
flushes from it. This year as a 5' wide by 8'
giant I've got just the one May flush. How do
I get it to bloom again.

You deadheaded, right? I find it's best to do it pretty vigorously, not
just snap off the buds. Then feed with Vitax and a few weeks later give
some liquid seaweed.

Vigorously? Typically I use shears an inch
below the bloom. do I need to start hacking.
heres a picture in May.

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/imag...eOdierBush.jpg

Its about 3 times that size now! but no blooms.
Maybe it needs to be smaller like it was last year
to ever get any bloom.

Also what is Vitax. I typically feed
with fish emulsion once a month. As you can
see none of my roses seem deprived.

Comte needs even tougher cutting back, really,
after the first flush, and he also likes a LOT of food - hey, these guys
are French - think of them as Gerard Depardieu.....

Tough cutting back as in to the nub? I did cut
a few cans back to 2' but they just put out these long
slender canes that flop all over but no blooms.

--
Jane Lumley

--
Theo in Zone 5