Old 17-07-2003, 05:42 PM
dave weil

Default Bloom & basal problems.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:29:41 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

Climbing Old Blush.
Its now a 3 feet tall six month old
shrub but it gave me 3 flowers in may
and thats it. Any ideas.

You're lucky. My has produced two flushes and 15 inches of growth.
What, you've never grown Kordesiis, two flowers the first year and no
noticeable growth? And then 8 foot canes in year two?

Thought Old Blush was a China.
Thought chinas were rapid growing.
Remember though I got Old blush as
a 1 gallon plant about 18" high. So from
Feb to July only 18" of extra growth!!

Have no fear! You should get some decent growth later this season. By
bloom time next spring, you should have a couple of those 8 foot
canes.

Here's mine the second season at bloom time (early May). I
deliberately overcontrasted it so that you could actually see it:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/OldBlush.jpg

The plant was definitely a little pup the first spring and early
summer (*maybe* 4 foot canes *at best*). If I remember correctly, it
grew quite a bit in the late summer and then well into late autumn.
Also, I think that it grew a little bit from late Feb. to late April,
when it started to bloom. I wish I had a good pic of the first year,
but alas, I don't.

In your climate, the growth *might* be a little slower. I'd definitely
look out for winter as well. This plant handily survived 8 degree
temps, but they were for very short periods (single nights with the
temp only hitting that mark the hour before dawn - this was very rare
indeed) , although, there was a good period of below freezing temps
the first winter (a week or so, if I remember correctly, where the
temps fluctuated between about 18 and 30 degrees).

Here was the plant this spring. You can see the massive growth that
you can expect:

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/OldBlush2.jpg

The two dark lines are the rough boundaries of the plant. That's about
20 - 24 feet from one side to the other. The circle highlights the
actual base of the plant.