Old 17-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Cass

Default Bloom & basal problems.

In article b8954ae6121deddb1cdc44147e18d712@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

Climbing Old Blush.
Its now a 3 feet tall six month old
shrub but it gave me 3 flowers in may
and thats it. Any ideas.

You're lucky. My has produced two flushes and 15 inches of growth.
What, you've never grown Kordesiis, two flowers the first year and no
noticeable growth? And then 8 foot canes in year two?

Thought Old Blush was a China.
Thought chinas were rapid growing.

Not here.

Remember though I got Old blush as
a 1 gallon plant about 18" high. So from
Feb to July only 18" of extra growth!!

If it's green and healthy, assume it's growing roots. I'm telling you,
you need to practice with Dortmund. Nothing for almost 2 years. Then 12
footers. Illusion did the same. Nothing for 12 months. Then 6 footers.

Louise Odier
Last year as a 4' shrub I got 4 distinct
flushes from it. This year as a 5' wide by 8'
giant I've got just the one May flush. How do
I get it to bloom again.

Sounds like she's growing great. Have you tried Superbloom?

What is superbloom?

Superbloom is a high P-K forumulation to maximize bloom. Can't say I've
every noticed a difference, so I don't use it much. Bandini makes a
product, and I think mine is by Greenlight or something.

I have heard that there is a trick to getting
Louise to rebloom. Will someone share.

Yeah, spill.
Next the Basal problems(lack of)

Iceberg
This is a 3 year old plant. I got
it as grafted w/ 3 1/2" canes.
One cane died but the the entire
4' wide by 4' tall bush is supported
by the 2 remaining canes. not a single basal
in 3 years. what gives. It seems very healthy
and is never without blooms.

Ignore it. One of mine is OR and only has 4 basals. The budded one
probably has two that are thicker than boomsticks. It oozes new growth
out of every pore. Who needs basals? Some roses produce their basal
growth from low on only a few basal canes.

Yep! there is a lot of new growth
but I tend to strip the lower 18" on many of my
roses to keep disease low. Iceberg does
not let me do this. Also those 2 basals
put out like a million twigs jamming everything up.

Yeah, just the way I like them.

It has also turned into a 2 dimensional rose.
long but not broad or tall. I keep hoping a new basal might
go tall to give it a better shape.

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/images/IcebergBush.jpg

heres a picture in may.
as you can see it is becoming ground cover almost.

That's Iceberg. Looks very healthy and happy. Lots of foliage all the
way to the ground. Different strokes, but that is what I like in my
roses. You know, this could be the classic climate difference.
HelpMeFind lists Iceberg at 2.5 to 5 feet, width 2.5. My plant in the
ground is 7 feet tall, 5 feet wide. Mine OR restricted in a pot is 4'
tall, 5' wide.
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...IcebergPot.jpg
Could be winter speaking to you.

Eden.
This is supposedly a pillar rose.
It 2 years old but is still a nice leafy
2'x2' shrub. Nary a bloom.
Nor any growth. nor any basals.

But it is Eden? I mean you've seen the blooms? Mine did zip the first
year, like your 2 x 2. So I moved it. So here it is after 2.5 years in
the ground, finally with a cane or two
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...denAwaits.jpg:

So it sounds like you're due but not overdue this year. It's new basal
season here...within the past two weeks. FYIm Eden does surprisngly
well with a serious whacking every few years...

Did you move it into the sun or better soil or something?

Both, and better water. The first year it just barely survived.

Mine gets 6-7 hours of sun and it is the 1985 version.
MME Alf. Carriere 7' away is 5' tall & I planted it this may.

Yes, and Mme. Alfred is a castle-eater. Pierre de Ronsard is a pillar
rose, 7 ft canes max. But it does have growth nodes about 1/4 inch
apart on every twig. I think you're due any time. I transplanted mine
in January. My pic is in October. Late basal growth.