Old 17-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Baby blue herring?

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
Sam Hopkins wrote:

Roybn emailed that it may be a cormorant and I think it is. More info to
come.

Sam

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

Saw a strange bird at my pond yesterday. It was the same size

of

a woodduck (which is about 3/4 the size of a normal duck), black or VERY
dark blue, had a neck like a goose, and flew into and sat in trees. I'm
thinking it may be a baby herring that hadnt developed it's colors yet.

I'm

in western PA zone 5. Any ideas?

Sam

Didn't think of that. We have them at the local reservoir. Neat bird
to watch. They dive deep and come up at a great distance from where
they enter the water. I had forgotten the size of your pond/lake ;-)

Forget what I said. My head isn't working this morning. I
was thinking of a loon! That's the one that dives and comes
up far away!

--
Bonnie
NJ