Old 17-07-2003, 10:23 PM
shannie

Default compost problem.

My largest and fullest compost heap was doing beautifully, the other day I
took the vinyl cover off it and put some holes in it with a stake, its too
full and too deep for me to empty and turn, it's made up of four
4'palletts. Anyway, when I took the cover off and put the holes in, steam
(for want of a better word!) came out through all the holes. I was really
pleased, thought I was obviously doing something right. However...today I
took the vinyl off to put a layer of hay on top and found to my astonishment
loads and loads of mushrooms(?) fungus(?) toadstools(?) no idea what they
are!..They stand about 6"high and are grey with an open flat grey/black top
on them. Where on earth did these come from? and how, if it were hot enough
to create steam did they survive?...will they go or am I stuck with a large
heap of unusable compost?

Thanks again
--

Shan (Ireland)