Old 17-07-2003, 10:23 PM
shannie

Default compost problem.

My largest and fullest compost heap was doing beautifully, the other day I
took the vinyl cover off it and put some holes in it with a stake, its too
full and too deep for me to empty and turn, it's made up of four
4'palletts. Anyway, when I took the cover off and put the holes in, steam
(for want of a better word!) came out through all the holes. I was really
pleased, thought I was obviously doing something right. However...today I
took the vinyl off to put a layer of hay on top and found to my astonishment
loads and loads of mushrooms(?) fungus(?) toadstools(?) no idea what they
are!..They stand about 6"high and are grey with an open flat grey/black top
on them. Where on earth did these come from? and how, if it were hot enough
to create steam did they survive?...will they go or am I stuck with a large
heap of unusable compost?

Thanks again
--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 17-07-2003, 11:02 PM
bnd777

No compost should be fine
You do need to turn it out into a 2nd bin though and sprinkle Sulphate of
ammonia and a little lime on each layer
Give it a dousing of water and cover and let it finish off for a couple of
months
Best to make 3.5 sided bins with top half of one side removable then its
easy to fork out into another bin
I make mine from pallets but i pull them apart and reconstruct with solid
sides, bases and lids to keep out rats etc

Old 18-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Ron

Snip

. . . . . . However...today I
took the vinyl off to put a layer of hay on top and found to my

astonishment
loads and loads of mushrooms(?) fungus(?) toadstools(?) no idea what they
are!..They stand about 6"high and are grey with an open flat grey/black

top
on them. Where on earth did these come from? and how, if it were hot

enough
to create steam did they survive?...will they go or am I stuck with a

large
heap of unusable compost?

Thanks again
--

Shan,

Without fungi we would be in a really sorry state. Just imagine, nothing
would rot very well.

It's OK and just what you need in a composter. Sounds like you've put horse
manure in there.

Regards

Ron

Old 18-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Martin Brown

In message , shannie
writes
My largest and fullest compost heap was doing beautifully, the other day I
took the vinyl cover off it and put some holes in it with a stake, its too
full and too deep for me to empty and turn, it's made up of four
4'palletts. Anyway, when I took the cover off and put the holes in, steam
(for want of a better word!) came out through all the holes. I was really
pleased, thought I was obviously doing something right. However...today I
took the vinyl off to put a layer of hay on top and found to my astonishment
loads and loads of mushrooms(?) fungus(?) toadstools(?) no idea what they
are!..They stand about 6"high and are grey with an open flat grey/black top
on them. Where on earth did these come from? and how, if it were hot enough
to create steam did they survive?...will they go or am I stuck with a large
heap of unusable compost?

Fungi are the principal mechanism for rotting down dead plants and
animals. If it were not for them we would be literally submerged in dead
things. There is nothing wrong with your compost heap if it gets a
decent head of steam up it will see off most weed seeds. Worth turning
the top few inches into the middle though otherwise they will not get
cooked enough.

I expect the fungi survived in there and then colonised the heap. Spent
mushroom compost is often used as a cheap soil conditioner. Unusual to
have then form fruiting bodies on your compost heap - worth looking them
up in a reference book to see if you have anything there worth eating.

Despite all the advice about what works and what doesn't I find that as
long as I add a couple of cubic metres at a time it really doesn't
matter what it is. The heap gets so hot after a few days that it all
rots down. I do try to put some woody stuff inbetween the grass cuttings
if possible.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 18-07-2003, 11:30 PM
shannie

"Ron" wrote in message
found
loads and loads of mushrooms(?) fungus(?) toadstools(?) no idea what

they
are!..They stand about 6"high and are grey with an open flat grey/black

top
on them. Where on earth did these come from? and how, if it were hot

enough
to create steam did they survive?...will they go or am I stuck with a

large
heap of unusable compost?

Thanks again
--

Shan,

Without fungi we would be in a really sorry state. Just imagine, nothing
would rot very well.

It's OK and just what you need in a composter. Sounds like you've put

horse
manure in there.

Thanks Ron, no horse manure, some cow manure, lots of rabbit and guinea pig
droppings and fresh chicken manure...maybe thats where it came from.

Regards

Ron

Old 18-07-2003, 11:30 PM
shannie

My thanks to all who replied and put my mind at ease.
Learning new stuff every day

Shannie

Old 18-07-2003, 11:30 PM
shannie