Old 18-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Help needed on my 1st tree (giant sequoia)

Fanta wrote in :

Man, I am not looking for a place suitable for the next 1500 years ot
so. Just a pot for the next year or two

Fanta

From the site posted earlier:
In the best plantations, giant sequoia averaged 0.5 to 0.7 m (1.6 to 2.3
ft) per year in height growth, and 1.3 to 2.0 cm (0.5 to 0.8 in) in
diameter growth per year (9).

and

Rooting Habit- During the first few years, the root system of giant sequoia
seedlings consists of a taproot with few laterals-a habit that facilitates
survival during dry summers (36). The ratio of root length to shoot height
during this period is about 2 to 2.5, with drier sites having higher ratios
(17). After 6 to 8 years, lateral root growth predominates, and elongation
of the taproot practically stops (36).

You give the height to be about 43 cm, so if you go by the above, the tree
is about a year old and the proper depth for the current pot should be
around say 100 cm or 40". Calculations for 2 additional years of growth
are left as an exercise for the reader.

In other words, start shopping for pots, learn bonsai, or tranplant the
sapling to a non-potbound location.

-- Salty