Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Fanta

Default Help needed on my 1st tree (giant sequoia)

Hi,
I have a giant sequoia, approx. 17 in tall (43 cm). That is from the
ground up, not including the roots. Currently it is in a pot. My
question is, how big should the pot be?

Thank you for any help,
Fanta

Old 17-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Starlord

Your looking at a tree that gets aweful BIG, I'm talking up to 100ft, pot? Rose
bowl sized.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"Fanta" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I have a giant sequoia, approx. 17 in tall (43 cm). That is from the
ground up, not including the roots. Currently it is in a pot. My
question is, how big should the pot be?

Thank you for any help,
Fanta

---

Old 17-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Snooze

Have you looked at how high a giant sequioa gets? You're looking at a plant
that gets 300 feet tall, and will outlive your great grandchildren.

Sequioas have a shallow, but wide root systems. If I recall correctly, the
roots expand outwards a good hundred feet if not more. You could put it in a
1-2 feet wide pot for now, since they are very slow growing trees, it will
be many years before it reaches 5-6 ft tall.

For more information, read:
http://www.forestworld.com/public/si...anteum_c2.html

Sameer

Old 17-07-2003, 08:02 AM
gregpresley

I have one which is now about 20 inches tall. It was about 12 inches tall
when I bought it 2 years ago. So in my climate at least, it grows slowly.
Mine is in the ground - but it was in an 8 inch pot when I bought it.

Old 17-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Fanta

Man, I am not looking for a place suitable for the next 1500 years ot
so. Just a pot for the next year or two

Fanta

Old 18-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Fanta wrote in :

Man, I am not looking for a place suitable for the next 1500 years ot
so. Just a pot for the next year or two

Fanta

From the site posted earlier:
In the best plantations, giant sequoia averaged 0.5 to 0.7 m (1.6 to 2.3
ft) per year in height growth, and 1.3 to 2.0 cm (0.5 to 0.8 in) in
diameter growth per year (9).

and

Rooting Habit- During the first few years, the root system of giant sequoia
seedlings consists of a taproot with few laterals-a habit that facilitates
survival during dry summers (36). The ratio of root length to shoot height
during this period is about 2 to 2.5, with drier sites having higher ratios
(17). After 6 to 8 years, lateral root growth predominates, and elongation
of the taproot practically stops (36).

You give the height to be about 43 cm, so if you go by the above, the tree
is about a year old and the proper depth for the current pot should be
around say 100 cm or 40". Calculations for 2 additional years of growth
are left as an exercise for the reader.

In other words, start shopping for pots, learn bonsai, or tranplant the
sapling to a non-potbound location.

-- Salty
Old 18-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Salty Thumb

Salty Thumb wrote in
:

You give the height to be about 43 cm, so if you go by the above, the
tree is about a year old and the proper depth for the current pot
should be around say 100 cm or 40". Calculations for 2 additional
years of growth are left as an exercise for the reader.

scratch that ... the ratio is 2 to 2.5, not 2-2.5 to 1. So the current
depth should be around 34 cm or a little over a foot.

Old 19-07-2003, 01:12 AM
FOW

Try a half a wine barrel size to start with. That might last for 3-4 years.
That would be about 3 1/2 foot across and 2 1/2 foot deep.
rthlink.net...