Old 18-07-2003, 12:52 AM
simy1

Default Problems with size of fruits.

(FarmerDill) wrote in message ...

Usually small size in a root crop is due to the plants being too crowded. If
the tops are vigorous the roots need room to expand. Carrots take a while to
develop so time may be a factor, however unless you are growing winter
radishes, they should be full size, Potassium (K) is a major nutrient for root
crops,

really? I know you are one of the most knowledgeable posters here, but
from my irregular readings I was under the impression that K matters
with fruits and P with roots (and N with greens). Indeed the USDA
nutrient profiles show that P is higher in roots (and potatoes, and
seeds, like nuts or corn) and K in fruits (including of course
tomatoes and squashes). I appreciate that whole plant health is more
than just the nutrients the edible part concentrates, but after all it
is the crop that we take away.