Old 18-07-2003, 04:42 AM
David J Bockman

Default Clematis -- When to plant?

Hi James,

I'd plant them in right away, and just make sure you coddle them with
adequate moisture until they become well established. I planted a tiny (6")
Grandiflora back in April and it's already about 4 feet.

Dave

"JNJ" wrote in message
I'm about to put together a section of lattice between my property and the
neighbor's. It will consist of some 4x4s covered with the lattice. My

goal
is to cover this with vines of course.

I'm thinking clematis would be a great addition here -- imagine a 6 foot
tall by 20 foot wide wall covered with clematis varieties and you'll see

the
instant appeal. We'll probably put a few other vines in there as well --

give it a little more variety, maybe attract some hummingbirds. The spot
gets lots of sun, so it's perfect for just about anything.

What I'm wondering here -- do I have to wait for next spring to plant or

can
I get away with planting some this year? Any suggestions on varieties as
well?

James