Old 18-07-2003, 04:12 AM
JNJ

Default Clematis -- When to plant?

I'm about to put together a section of lattice between my property and the
neighbor's. It will consist of some 4x4s covered with the lattice. My goal
is to cover this with vines of course.

I'm thinking clematis would be a great addition here -- imagine a 6 foot
tall by 20 foot wide wall covered with clematis varieties and you'll see the
instant appeal. We'll probably put a few other vines in there as well -- to
give it a little more variety, maybe attract some hummingbirds. The spot
gets lots of sun, so it's perfect for just about anything.

What I'm wondering here -- do I have to wait for next spring to plant or can
I get away with planting some this year? Any suggestions on varieties as
well?

James

Old 18-07-2003, 04:42 AM
David J Bockman

Hi James,

I'd plant them in right away, and just make sure you coddle them with
adequate moisture until they become well established. I planted a tiny (6")
Grandiflora back in April and it's already about 4 feet.

Dave

Old 18-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:02:34 -0400, "JNJ" wrote:

I'm about to put together a section of lattice between my property and the
neighbor's. It will consist of some 4x4s covered with the lattice. My goal
is to cover this with vines of course.

I'm thinking clematis would be a great addition here -- imagine a 6 foot
tall by 20 foot wide wall covered with clematis varieties and you'll see the
instant appeal. We'll probably put a few other vines in there as well -- to
give it a little more variety, maybe attract some hummingbirds. The spot
gets lots of sun, so it's perfect for just about anything.

What I'm wondering here -- do I have to wait for next spring to plant or can
I get away with planting some this year? Any suggestions on varieties as
well?

James

Plant them now. It takes a couple years for the roots to get well
established. Don't expect a lot of growth next summer. Protect the
roots with a compost mulch.

Old 18-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Suja

JNJ wrote:

What I'm wondering here -- do I have to wait for next spring to plant or can
I get away with planting some this year? Any suggestions on varieties as
well?

Well, it depends a bit on the size of the plants. If you get the
Clematis in 4" pots, pot them up in gallon pots, get their roots going,
and either plant them in fall or next spring (you can sink the pots for
winter). If you get more established plants, by all means plant them
now. Keep them well mulched and watered, and since they are heavy
feeders, fertilize once (bonemeal, rose or tomato fertilizer).

For really good information on which particular types of clematis are
recommended and a list of sources, see
http://www.gardenbuddies.com/article...bill/bill.html

Suja
Old 18-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Heidi

I like Armandii b/c it is evergreen. You can find out more info at
http://www.clematis.org/home.html.

I am jealous as I am running out of places for vines.

Best wishes!
Heidi

Old 18-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Suja

Heidi wrote:

I am jealous as I am running out of places for vines.

Do you have them climbing up your shrubs and trees? I have three that
are growing on roses, and have 5 more waiting, 3 of which will go on
butterfly bushes, 1 on a trellis and 1 on a rose. If my husband didn't
have a problem with it, they would also be growing up every evergreen
tree I have.

Suja
Old 18-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Plant them now. It takes a couple years for the roots to get well
established. Don't expect a lot of growth next summer. Protect the
roots with a compost mulch.

Proper mulching would be even more important at this time of the year,
right? Because clematis like cool roots, so a clematis planted in the
summer would need very careful protection? I'm not trying to discourage
anyone from planting now; just reminding about need for cool roots.

I want to second the comments that Clematis may get off to a rough
start but then recover and be very beautiful the next year. I was
*this* close to replacing one of mine this spring because I thought
it was dead. Then I saw one little green shoot, and the next thing
I knew, I had beautiful flowers. By next year, it should look just
as lush as the one next to it that was completely healthy this year.

Patty

Old 18-07-2003, 07:12 PM
JNJ

First of all -- thanks for the responses and links!

Ok, so what I'm getting here then is that I should buy now, pot 'em up, then
transplant in a few months -- right?

My initial plan was to buy in September (money's tight at the moment) and
put them in the ground right away (with appropriate amendments & mulching
for the winter). The new fencing won't be put up for several weeks either.
Should I change my plans?

We're in Zone 6, SW Ohio -- any varieties in particular anyone would
recommend? Any vendors in particular I should buy from?

James

Old 18-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Chelsea Christenson

JNJ wrote:

We're in Zone 6, SW Ohio -- any varieties in particular anyone would
recommend? Any vendors in particular I should buy from?

I'm hoping to get some clematis at some point. I'm particularly
interested in the Jackmanii, which has deep purple flowers. I get the
impression that it's a very reliable plant.

At this point, I'm going to stick with plants from local nurseries if
possible, especially for specimen plants.

Old 21-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Peter

Agreed... Jackmanii has some pretty flowers. I have two plants
that seemed to take about two summers to become established,
but this year they blossomed for about two months.

Keep the roots cool, mine are planted in a bed of hosta's
and a bed of daylillies, and the plant in sun or partial shade.

Jackmanii is popular, seems that a lot of local garden centers
carry it, but you might wish to look at the other hybrids also.

They can grow pretty large. Longwood Gardens (Pa.) has
several clemantis growing atop a large stone wall....very nice !!