Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Robert H

Default CO2 regulator recommendation?

"Djay" wrote in message ...
I have access to a regulator that is used for nitrogen. Has a high pressure
and low pressure gauge. Is using a regulator intended for nitrogen for a
CO2 system a dangerous idea?

"Djay" wrote in message
I'm tired of doing the DIY Yeast CO2 constantly. I found a local place

that
sells and refills CO2 containers at a reasonable price. Do any of you

have
a regulator that you would recommend? While cheaper isn't always better,
I'm looking for a good value and good quality.

TIA,

DJay

The main problem with industrial regulators or beer restaurant
regulators is that they are high pressure regulators. You need to set
it at a high PSI for it to run, and then its to much pressure coming
out of the regulator for fine ajustment. Most of these do not come
with a needle valve that is used for fine ajustment. You can add a
needle valve to it which brings the pressure down, but the pressure
going into it still needs to be high. A low pressure regulator made
for the aquarium such as Aqua Medic or Dupla only needs a very low
pressure to work which makes it more stable. The Aqua Medic regulator
has a fixed working pressure which makes it very safe and reliable.
Its only $80 something dollars.

High pressure systems can be more prone to leaks, put stress on the
needle valve, and may have the dreaded tank end dump. There are many
horror stories on these forums and APD about tank end dumps. It happed
to me twice using Dave Gombergs regulator before he added a needle
valve to it.

Robert H
www.aquabotanic.com