Old 18-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Yog-Sothoth

Default No more CO2

How do you build a CO2 generator with a juice bottle?
"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hmmmmm. Perhaps this explains the recent explosion of hair algae....

"Alex R" wrote in message
et...
"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
I've started pulling so many plants out of my tanks that I just can't
justify the CO2. It was great while the plants were getting

established,
but now that they're becoming annoying I've decided not to use my

generators
anymore. I built them all from juice bottles, so it's not a huge loss

by
any means. I haven't filled a generator in perhaps 3 or 4 weeks.

I wouldn't say that's a very good idea. Unless you have low lighting,
growing plants without extra CO2 will likely lead to problems. If the

plants
are limited by CO2 (or anything other than light) they'll be unable to
outcompete the algae, which will most likely take advantage of these
conditions. Without CO2 injection, your plants will not only grow

slower,
they will not look as healthy as they do with it. Most tanks with CO2
injection have fast plant growth, and that's what hobbyists are trying

achieve with CO2. If you want to slow down plant growth, reduce the

lighting
instead of CO2, or get slower-growing plants.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com