Old 18-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Suja

Default Clematis -- When to plant?

JNJ wrote:

What I'm wondering here -- do I have to wait for next spring to plant or can
I get away with planting some this year? Any suggestions on varieties as
well?

Well, it depends a bit on the size of the plants. If you get the
Clematis in 4" pots, pot them up in gallon pots, get their roots going,
and either plant them in fall or next spring (you can sink the pots for
winter). If you get more established plants, by all means plant them
now. Keep them well mulched and watered, and since they are heavy
feeders, fertilize once (bonemeal, rose or tomato fertilizer).

For really good information on which particular types of clematis are
recommended and a list of sources, see
http://www.gardenbuddies.com/article...bill/bill.html

Suja