Old 18-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Patty Winter

Default Clematis -- When to plant?

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

Plant them now. It takes a couple years for the roots to get well
established. Don't expect a lot of growth next summer. Protect the
roots with a compost mulch.

Proper mulching would be even more important at this time of the year,
right? Because clematis like cool roots, so a clematis planted in the
summer would need very careful protection? I'm not trying to discourage
anyone from planting now; just reminding about need for cool roots.

I want to second the comments that Clematis may get off to a rough
start but then recover and be very beautiful the next year. I was
*this* close to replacing one of mine this spring because I thought
it was dead. Then I saw one little green shoot, and the next thing
I knew, I had beautiful flowers. By next year, it should look just
as lush as the one next to it that was completely healthy this year.

Patty