Old 18-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Plant Labels - soap box commentary

(Seamus Ma' Cleriec) wrote in
om:

I've been a lurker, but I just can't resist my 2 cents - Aluminum is
the most common element found in the earth's crust. Just about any

If you care to change 'element' to 'metal' or 'most' to 'third most',
I'll agree with you.

water which is not otherwise purified (distilled or ion exchanged) is
going to contain Aluminum.

How much and in what chemical form?

The increase in concentration through contact with cans and pots will
*insignificant*.

How did you come to this conclusion? Are you also saying naturally
occuring aluminum compounds and artifically leached aluminum have the
same biological reactivity?

Also note that Aluminum develops a patina of Aluminum Oxide (*) which
is highly insoluable.

What happens when you apply acid or a catalytic agent that dissolves the
patina?

* aka corundum - same stuff as rubies and sapphire

I'll agree that the Al-O bonds in Al2O3 are quite strong even when
developed as a patina, but considering it inexpertly, that seems
analogous to saying graphite and diamonds have the same hardness.

Thanks for the 2 cents, but I think I'll need at least a dollar.

-- Salty