Old 18-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default mystery flower/weed

Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

Shame on you.

You should have recognized that as a Zinnia.

Birds don't plant seeds. They drop them in their poop.

The Zinnia probably came as a stowaway with some plant you bought.

DigitalVinyl wrote in message
.. .
This flower came up in one box. It didn't spread or multiple so I let
it grow. The leaves looked similar to my sunflower when it was
starting. Now that it has flowered, anyone recognize it?

I'm guessing it is either a wildflower or something planted by the
birds.

When it comes to such seeds as zinnia, birds drop them by accident, not
generally by poop. Seed-eating birds (and zinnia seeds are a favorite of many
birds) digest such seeds and what comes out the other end ain't viable.
Poop-planted seeds are generally those that are indigestible, such as fruit
seeds or hard-shelled seeds that are accidentally swallowed whole. That being
said, the zinnia probably ended up in DV's planter exactly the way you
described, particularly since the timing would be a bit off for the
alternative.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7