Old 18-07-2003, 05:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default mystery flower/weed

This flower came up in one box. It didn't spread or multiple so I let
it grow. The leaves looked similar to my sunflower when it was
starting. Now that it has flowered, anyone recognize it?

I'm guessing it is either a wildflower or something planted by the
birds.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl6...Flower-med.jpg

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 18-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Shame on you.

You should have recognized that as a Zinnia.

Birds don't plant seeds. They drop them in their poop.

The Zinnia probably came as a stowaway with some plant you bought.

Old 18-07-2003, 07:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

Shame on you.

You should have recognized that as a Zinnia.

Hey I'm new at this...I'll be better next year. I haven't tried
growing one yet. (well i did THINK i was growing one)

Birds don't plant seeds. They drop them in their poop.

Well I have bird poop on my planters, my rack, my chairs, my tables,
my watering cans... It is just a matter of time before poop finds its
way to a nice patch of dirt. There is a bird nest overhead about two
feet away so I saw it as a possible dropped seed.

The Zinnia probably came as a stowaway with some plant you bought.

This dirt has been growing just a few plants since April. The dirt
came from bags and I mostly transplanted stuff into it that I grew
myself from seeds back in March. Unless it just lay dormant for a long
while in some dirt.

The color on the photo came out nice, accurate...it is a bubble-gum
pink. Just got a new camera. :-)

.. .

Old 18-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

For somebody from New Jersey, you sure say a lot of stupid things, Tyra.

Never said that Zinnia seeds were carried in bird poop.

Zinnias do not have fleshy fruit that are eaten by birds.

Did suggest that the Zinnia seed came some other way.

You should read the whole reply before jumping to conclusions.

Tyra Trevellyn wrote in message
Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

Shame on you.

You should have recognized that as a Zinnia.

Birds don't plant seeds. They drop them in their poop.

The Zinnia probably came as a stowaway with some plant you bought.

DigitalVinyl wrote in message
.. .
This flower came up in one box. It didn't spread or multiple so I let
it grow. The leaves looked similar to my sunflower when it was
starting. Now that it has flowered, anyone recognize it?

I'm guessing it is either a wildflower or something planted by the
birds.

When it comes to such seeds as zinnia, birds drop them by accident, not
generally by poop. Seed-eating birds (and zinnia seeds are a favorite of

many
birds) digest such seeds and what comes out the other end ain't viable.
Poop-planted seeds are generally those that are indigestible, such as

fruit
seeds or hard-shelled seeds that are accidentally swallowed whole. That

being
said, the zinnia probably ended up in DV's planter exactly the way you
described, particularly since the timing would be a bit off for the
alternative.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

Old 19-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

wrote:

[...]

Hey, I'm sorry, but the Official New Jersey State Brain is out on loan until
Monday. I thought I'd do without it just to see what would happen. But
despite that, I did in fact read every word you wrote.

Didn't miss a syllable.

Didn't say you suggested that the zinnia seeds arrived in poop. (Did you read
MY whole reply?) I thought that what you wrote could be interpreted as
indication birds don't drop seeds but rather only poop 'em. Since I know you
know differently, I figured I'd just clarify....not particularly for you but
for anyone who cared to follow along with the thread. Nothing else to it.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7
Old 20-07-2003, 09:52 PM
GrampysGurl

I love zinnias. I was at a talk recently and the speaker referred to them as
garish (

I love bright colors and zinnias sure come in bright colors. I love reds and
oranges, it's hard to get that in a zone 5 garden... so I do it with annuals.

Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 20-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Maybe the prissy fusspot was running out of fey adjectives or lost his copy
of Roget's thesaurus!

Zinnias are one of the best native American wildflowers to be cultivated as
garden plants.

Old 21-07-2003, 02:42 AM
DigitalVinyl

Frogleg wrote:

On 19 Jul 2003 19:47:13 GMT, oway (Tyra Trevellyn)
wrote:

"Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

For somebody from New Jersey, you sure say a lot of stupid things, Tyra.

Hey, I'm sorry, but the Official New Jersey State Brain is out on loan until
Monday. I thought I'd do without it just to see what would happen. But
despite that, I did in fact read every word you wrote.

Didn't miss a syllable.

Didn't say you suggested that the zinnia seeds arrived in poop. (Did you read
MY whole reply?) I thought that what you wrote could be interpreted as
indication birds don't drop seeds but rather only poop 'em. Since I know you
know differently, I figured I'd just clarify....not particularly for you but
for anyone who cared to follow along with the thread. Nothing else to it.

Right on, Tyra. I believe the origin of the quibble was a line saying
birds "planted" seeds.

And being the one who said it, I thought it a entertaining way to say
some bird shat on my dirt. I've never come across any info describing
birds "squirreling" away seeds in the ground. I certainly wasn't
saying they were.

Plant, drop, poop -- birds are common
distributors of seeds. Maybe we were all taken aback by seeing a
zinnia described as a 'mystery flower'. :-)

Hey, if I didn't plant it I assume it is a weed and yank it.
This one didn't look like a weed so I let it live to see what would
become of it.

I'm always tickled when I can put a name to one (rarely).

Yeah...well I didn't know a zinnia...

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 21-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:05:28 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

I believe the origin of the quibble was a line saying
birds "planted" seeds.

And being the one who said it, I thought it a entertaining way to say
some bird shat on my dirt. I've never come across any info describing
birds "squirreling" away seeds in the ground. I certainly wasn't
saying they were.

Plant, drop, poop -- birds are common
distributors of seeds. Maybe we were all taken aback by seeing a
zinnia described as a 'mystery flower'. :-)

Hey, if I didn't plant it I assume it is a weed and yank it.
This one didn't look like a weed so I let it live to see what would
become of it.

Sorry, Digital. Zinnias are just *so* common and recognizable. Cereoid
says they're native American (Mexico and some ways N. & S) plants, so
they *could* be called wildflowers or weeds. As you now know,
Zinnias come in many colors and varieties, are good as cut flowers,
easy to grow, and...freely reseed. The negatives are that the flowers
get tatty-looking if not dead-headed, and plants often develop powdery
mildew late in the season. Small price to pay for such abundant color.

[IMG] code is On

Mystery Weed in Flower (Central Ohio) Ron Hardin Plant Science 4 06-05-2006 06:42 PM
Mystery Weed Identified, new mystery weed, Central Ohio Ron Hardin Plant Science 5 21-04-2006 11:23 PM
Mystery "weed" Cliff Texas 9 23-03-2006 08:30 AM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM