Old 18-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Callen Molenda

Default mystery flower/weed

Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

Shame on you.

You should have recognized that as a Zinnia.

Birds don't plant seeds. They drop them in their poop.

The Zinnia probably came as a stowaway with some plant you bought.

DigitalVinyl wrote in message
.. .
This flower came up in one box. It didn't spread or multiple so I let
it grow. The leaves looked similar to my sunflower when it was
starting. Now that it has flowered, anyone recognize it?

I'm guessing it is either a wildflower or something planted by the
birds.

When it comes to such seeds as zinnia, birds drop them by accident, not
generally by poop. Seed-eating birds (and zinnia seeds are a favorite of many
birds) digest such seeds and what comes out the other end ain't viable.
Poop-planted seeds are generally those that are indigestible, such as fruit
seeds or hard-shelled seeds that are accidentally swallowed whole. That being
said, the zinnia probably ended up in DV's planter exactly the way you
described, particularly since the timing would be a bit off for the
alternative.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

We should mention, too, that if you allow the seeds to fall into your
box you will probably see more of these little sweeties next year.

Callen, haven't put in new zinnia seeds in 3 years