Old 18-07-2003, 10:07 PM
N. Thornton

Default Climbers for zone 8

Hi

I need some inspiration. I want to cover the walls of the garden in
climbers that will produce lots of fruit and look good too. I'm in
England, zone 8 IIRC, ie it only just freezes in winter.

I've got walls of all aspects to cover, S, E, W, N.

I know I want apples! But a good mix of things would be nice. I might
also try a fruiting akebia, but I've been told theyre really rampant,
so Im not sure.

I would like to try russian olive, elaeagnus angustifolia, but its
more bush than climber, so it might become an endless hassle to
maintain. I have that one and also elaeagnus ebbingei limelight - not
convinced either of them are suitable tho.

Thinking of possibly putting kiwi on the north wall, it will get some
direct sun once it gets about 6' high.

I is in need of inspiration - any welcome!

Regards, NT