Old 18-07-2003, 10:07 PM
N. Thornton

Default Climbers for zone 8

Hi

I need some inspiration. I want to cover the walls of the garden in
climbers that will produce lots of fruit and look good too. I'm in
England, zone 8 IIRC, ie it only just freezes in winter.

I've got walls of all aspects to cover, S, E, W, N.

I know I want apples! But a good mix of things would be nice. I might
also try a fruiting akebia, but I've been told theyre really rampant,
so Im not sure.

I would like to try russian olive, elaeagnus angustifolia, but its
more bush than climber, so it might become an endless hassle to
maintain. I have that one and also elaeagnus ebbingei limelight - not
convinced either of them are suitable tho.

Thinking of possibly putting kiwi on the north wall, it will get some
direct sun once it gets about 6' high.

I is in need of inspiration - any welcome!

Regards, NT
Old 25-07-2003, 01:42 AM
V_coerulea

Kiwis might be nice too. Remember though that your Z8 and my Z8 are 2
completely different critters. I live in southern South Carolina, USA where
the winters usually don't go much below 20F (rarely low teens), but the days
are in the 50F range so temps rarely stay below freezing for long. Yours may
be there a good long while. For apples, we have to choose the low chill
varieities is we want any apples. You could probably have your pick. Our
warm growing season is long. Your cool growing season is long. Passiflora
might survive for you, but probably won't fruit (unless it's incarnata which
I think would grow and fruit under the polar ice cap). So much depends on
your max-min temps, length of growing season, humidity and rainfall, soil
type, pH, etc that it makes suggestions rather whimsical.
Gary
m...

Old 25-07-2003, 11:32 AM
N. Thornton

HI Gary.

"V_coerulea" wrote in message ...
Kiwis might be nice too.

Yup, I'd love kiwis, only thing is I gather they're really rampant. Is
that true of the pink Manchurian? I'm also aware the fruit wont sto
a week in the frdge is about it. That is a real downside, tho its one
I'd live with if I had to.

So far I'm definite about apples, and like the idea of passion fruit.
Kiwis I guess I nede to know more about their growth rate, and whether
the pink one will ripen fruit on a north wall - if it will I do like
the idea - the north wall is the tricky one of course. The N wall does
get a little sun in summer.

Remember though that your Z8 and my Z8 are 2
completely different critters.

Absolutely. I would only consider it as a hardiness rating really, and
not quite perfect even for that.

I live in southern South Carolina, USA where
the winters usually don't go much below 20F (rarely low teens), but the days
are in the 50F range so temps rarely stay below freezing for long. Yours may
be there a good long while. For apples, we have to choose the low chill
varieities is we want any apples. You could probably have your pick.

Yes!! Apples and Britain go together like peaches and cream, we is
lucky.

Our
warm growing season is long. Your cool growing season is long. Passiflora
might survive for you, but probably won't fruit (unless it's incarnata which
I think would grow and fruit under the polar ice cap).

Passionfruit does well here. It does die back in winter, but it soon
makes up for it again. It fruits plentifully. Being deciduous it does
leave a bare wall much of the time tho, so its best grown with
somethnig slow to provide winter cover. Yes I like that one.

So much depends on
your max-min temps, length of growing season, humidity and rainfall, soil
type, pH, etc that it makes suggestions rather whimsical.
Gary

Good point.

max temp in summer 30C, most summer days are 19-26C. Winter stays at
freezing all day for a few weeks max in Jan. It normally only goes a
bit under frezing.
Rainfall 50-60 inches per year, and its regular rather than long time
coming then flood. I never water outside, no need.
Soil is clay-ish, ph alkaline but not chalky, so good growing ground.
If it werent for ph I'd consider blueberries, but I'm not going to
install acid peat beds.

So we have good growing conditions, but only mild summers. Perfect for
apples! But I'm hoping for more variety than just applse, apples and
apples So so far I've got apples, passionfruit, and possibly kiwis
for the north wall.

Any further ideas would certainly be welcome!

Regards, NT

Old 25-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Bob Mounger

Greetings,

Grapes?

--
Bob Mounger

[IBC] Moving to San Gabriel Mountains Outside LA from zone 6-7 NEW YORK CITY to zone 8-9 Ben Griffin Bonsai 7 05-07-2004 11:03 PM
Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b Laurie Gardening 28 29-02-2004 06:45 PM
Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b Laurie Gardening 0 28-02-2004 06:38 PM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM