Old 18-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Edward M. Kennedy

Default What's eating my trees?

Susan Hogarth wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:29:22 -0400, in article
, MAC wrote:

Not a good idea to have Japanese Beetle traps anywhere on your property
- they'll just attract beetles from miles around.

We tried traps our first spring at our house and were *swarmed*. The japanese
maple was ruined (for that year) - nearly every leaf was severly munched.

The beetle traps have their uses, but used by themselves
they don't attract a high enough percentage of beetles
away from ornamentals to offset the increased amount of
beetles now on your property. This is exacerbated if
you are on a small plot of land.

On the other hand, I have ten acres and want to minimize
the poison spraying (I gave up on the safer pyrethrins --
too labor intensive). I put traps on the corners of my
property to draw out any of the *******s hatching in my
soil, and then I use some 30 day spray on the plants the
beetles like to eat n' screw on. If my traps attrack
some beetles from my neighbors, there are still pretty
far my house and not like to wander away from the bait
for the distant smell of roses, etc.

The problem with roses is that I have to spray each new
bloom when it opens.

Finally, google on Milky Spore. It is a parasite that
kills the grubs in the ground and should last a long time.
If your neighbors have lots of beetle grubs, it won't
do much good for a while. But if everyone used it, you
could solve the problem over a wide areas. And the spores
should slowly spread with time, so you might eventually get
a wide area solution.

It's kinda expensive, but it will help your lawn.

--Ted