Old 19-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default black bottoms on tomatos

Do be careful with that wood ash. It can drastically alter Ph if too much is
applied. A handful is not likely to do too much harm but if your soil in
that local area is already unbalanced Ph wise it can disrupt it further.

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
"Mary Beal" wrote in message

arthlink.net...
This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too

little!
I am not convinced it is the watering. Maybe something in the water?

We
have a well.

Would appreciate anyone who knows weighing in.

Mary

Next year, sprinkle a handful of wood ash per plant a month or two
ahead of time. It will not only prevent BER, it will also improve the
flavor of the tomatoes (if you have acid soil, which you probably
have).