Old 16-07-2003, 04:04 AM
Mary Beal

Default black bottoms on tomatos

This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too little!
I am not convinced it is the watering. Maybe something in the water? We
have a well.

Would appreciate anyone who knows weighing in.

Mary

Old 16-07-2003, 06:11 AM
Bobbett

Mary Beal wrote:

This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too little!
I am not convinced it is the watering.

If always been told it has to do with calcium absorption and/or
magnesium in the soil. HOWEVER, I'm not an 'additive' person and the
first year I started mulching well around the plants, ALL the blossom
end rot stopped, and I haven't had it since.

I use no chemicals on my plants nor on my lawn. I mow my lawn and then
put the lawn clippings thickly (6" or so) around the base of all the
tomato plants, leaving a few inches around the main stem so the grass
doesn't touch it. This type of mulching, btw, will also keep the
moisture even in and around the plant, so it'll help if any of the
blossom end rot issues are from water absorption or lack thereof.

hth, Bobbett

Old 16-07-2003, 07:26 AM
zxcvbob

Mary Beal wrote:

This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too little!
I am not convinced it is the watering. Maybe something in the water? We
have a well.

Would appreciate anyone who knows weighing in.

Mary

It is caused by a calcium deficiency in the fruits. Indirectly it is
caused by moisture stress that can make whatever calcium is available
accumulate in the leaves and not the fruit.

Maintaining uniformly adequate soil moisture is the key. Adding a little
calcium chloride or calcium nitrate to the soil couldn't hurt. You can buy
a calcium chloride product called "Stop Rot" that says to apply foliarly.
It works a lot better to water the the roots with it. Adding a little
epsom salt to supply magnesium might also help the plants use their calcium
more efficiently.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 17-07-2003, 01:42 AM
simy1

"Mary Beal" wrote in message arthlink.net...
This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too little!
I am not convinced it is the watering. Maybe something in the water? We
have a well.

Would appreciate anyone who knows weighing in.

Mary

Next year, sprinkle a handful of wood ash per plant a month or two
ahead of time. It will not only prevent BER, it will also improve the
flavor of the tomatoes (if you have acid soil, which you probably
have).
Old 17-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Bill Bolle

Mary Beal wrote:
This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too little!
I am not convinced it is the watering. Maybe something in the water? We
have a well.

Would appreciate anyone who knows weighing in.

Mary

Do a "Google" search for "blossom end rot". That's what you've got.

Bill

Old 17-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Jim Carter

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:00:56 GMT, "Mary Beal"
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too little!
I am not convinced it is the watering. Maybe something in the water? We
have a well.

Would appreciate anyone who knows weighing in.

Mary

BER (Blossom End Rot). Caused by a lack of calcium in the fruit. This can
occur in the presence of too much water even though there is plenty of calcium
in the soil and leaves.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 19-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Mike Stevenson

Do be careful with that wood ash. It can drastically alter Ph if too much is
applied. A handful is not likely to do too much harm but if your soil in
that local area is already unbalanced Ph wise it can disrupt it further.

"simy1" wrote in message
om...

arthlink.net...

Old 20-07-2003, 09:14 PM
TCS

htmlinput type crash/html
begin On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:00:56 GMT, Mary Beal wrote:
This is the 2d year my tomatos have dark spots (big) on the underside.
Someone told me I water too much. Someone else told me I water too little!
I am not convinced it is the watering. Maybe something in the water? We
have a well.

Do a search on google for "tomato blossom end rot"