Old 20-07-2003, 12:13 AM
Jerrispond

Default My Small out of control pond

My pond is new about 2 months old, aprox. 800 gallons with 10 wonderful
Koi's.guess it takes time and lots of water changes and salt if you know what

mean.Quan and hiswife Lisa have ever met that's my pond experts. I was so

new at the pond

Wow...sorry to break it to you but your pond "expert" doesn't know a thing
about koi and ponds.....first your pond is only large enough for 1 or 2 at the
very most koi......koi take 1000 gallons for the first then 100 gallons per
fish .....so for 8 koi you would need 1700 gallons.....secondly I know it is a
hotly debated subject but I have had koi for over 10 years and have never added
even a teaspoon of salt to any of my several ponds....which range in size from
bathtub( goldfish) to over 12,000 gallons( koi).....And lastly frequent water
changes would be un necessary had your pond and filter experts had you add a
few fish at a time.....When you add new water you make the algea problem worse.
Sorry Jerri