Old 18-07-2003, 11:17 PM
DonKcR

Default My Small out of control pond

Hi, Well I've never been on a chat line in my life. My son is the computer
guy so he said here is a couple of chat lines go for it.
My pond is new about 2 months old, aprox. 800 gallons with 10 wonderful
Koi's. The fish are from 2'' to all of 6''. My pond has went through the
green stage with the water testing great for fish, I just couldn't see them.
But now we are in the high nitrite stage. I feel helpless but I keep in
touch with the man that made my filter system and he said this is normal. I
guess it takes time and lots of water changes and salt if you know what I
mean. I love watching my fish they all have names and I would hate to lose a
single one. So I'm proubly the biggest pain in the rear that Quan and his
wife Lisa have ever met that's my pond experts. I was so new at the pond
making that I didn't know how much knowledge it takes to raise a small
family of Koi. But let me tell you I've learned so much from this adventure.
I might not of taken this big of a project on if I had any idea of the
endeavor. But when I watch them swimming and listen to the water falls it is
all worth it. Write to me and tell me your stories. Kc

Old 20-07-2003, 12:13 AM
Jerrispond

My pond is new about 2 months old, aprox. 800 gallons with 10 wonderful
Koi's.guess it takes time and lots of water changes and salt if you know what

mean.Quan and hiswife Lisa have ever met that's my pond experts. I was so

new at the pond

Wow...sorry to break it to you but your pond "expert" doesn't know a thing
about koi and ponds.....first your pond is only large enough for 1 or 2 at the
very most koi......koi take 1000 gallons for the first then 100 gallons per
fish .....so for 8 koi you would need 1700 gallons.....secondly I know it is a
hotly debated subject but I have had koi for over 10 years and have never added
even a teaspoon of salt to any of my several ponds....which range in size from
bathtub( goldfish) to over 12,000 gallons( koi).....And lastly frequent water
changes would be un necessary had your pond and filter experts had you add a
few fish at a time.....When you add new water you make the algea problem worse.
Sorry Jerri

Old 20-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Jeannette

http://watergardening.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic
?a=cfrm&s=689290654
Go to the above link. People there are very
kind and are very knowledgeable about ponds.
Lots and lots of pictures too. You can
browse all day if you like. You can also get
info on plant trading.

There is excellent advise on all kinds of
pond/fish problems.

Happy Ponding!
Jeannette

Old 21-07-2003, 01:35 AM
dkat

Also go to the rec.pond newsroom.

I can's speak to the problem of having too many fish for the pond but one of
the things you can do to help immediately with the algae problem is to add a
simple veggie filter (buy an inexpensive barrel liner that flows out into
the pond - an inexpensive pump that pumps water at a slow rate from the pond
into the barrel - put a bunch of plants such as water hyacinths, mint, etc.
in the barrel ). This will help both with the ammonia and the algae. Shade
will also cut the algae problem. So plants that cover the surface of the
pond will help (duck weed, lotus, etc.)... good luck. DK

Old 21-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Essjay001

DonKcR wrote:
Hi, Well I've never been on a chat line in my life. My son is the
computer guy so he said here is a couple of chat lines go for it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this isn't a chat line, so you still haven't.
But you gotta love these people coz they know a lot and are friendly
Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.