Old 20-07-2003, 01:22 AM
John DeBoo

Default Mexican Evening Primrose

I've several clusters of these growing in my back yard (this is my
first year with them) that I planted in spring. They have bloomed
beautifully (pink flowers) and looked real hearty but now look like
they are dying. Knowing little about them, is this typical for them
to die back at this time of year?

We've had 8 days this month at 100º or better if that makes any
difference and I've watered them well daily. At the same time as
the high temps hit and the plants took a dive, I've also noted
hundreds of small flying beetles(?), a bit smaller than a ladybug
but the same shape, black in color with iridescent green color on
their wings infesting the 2 small areas where the primroses are.
Perhaps its the bugs and not the heat thats killing them, again,
provided they should not be dying yet.

Anyone have any experience with these beautiful flowers that can
assist? TIA

Albuquerque, Zone 7