Old 20-07-2003, 01:22 AM
John DeBoo

Default Mexican Evening Primrose

I've several clusters of these growing in my back yard (this is my
first year with them) that I planted in spring. They have bloomed
beautifully (pink flowers) and looked real hearty but now look like
they are dying. Knowing little about them, is this typical for them
to die back at this time of year?

We've had 8 days this month at 100º or better if that makes any
difference and I've watered them well daily. At the same time as
the high temps hit and the plants took a dive, I've also noted
hundreds of small flying beetles(?), a bit smaller than a ladybug
but the same shape, black in color with iridescent green color on
their wings infesting the 2 small areas where the primroses are.
Perhaps its the bugs and not the heat thats killing them, again,
provided they should not be dying yet.

Anyone have any experience with these beautiful flowers that can
assist? TIA

Albuquerque, Zone 7

Old 20-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

John DeBoo wrote:

[...]

You're likely growing Oenothera speciosa (Showy Evening Primrose), native to
Mexico and the southwestern U.S., a very pretty but highly invasive plant. It
blooms for a fairly long period (spring to midsummer), with occasional rebloom.
About this time, though, it fades and looks rather sparse, particularly if the
weather has been hot. The leaves may even turn reddish. (I can't speak for your
area, where the plants are native, but they don't seem to be bothered by pests
here.)

Here's how I handle mine, now in their fourth year:
I cut the plants back to a few inches above ground to a) remove all the sneaky
seed pods, and b) encourage a flush of new foliage and some slightly possible
rebloom. But what I also do is pull out at least half of the clumps a few
stems at a time so I can keep it somewhat under control. In its place I plant
some blooming annuals that carry on for the rest of the growing season (e.g.,
pink Cosmos 'Sonata' fills that duty nicely). Don't worry about next
year......there'll be lots more of it coming back. You will be amazed at how
much more.......!

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7
Old 20-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Maggie4185

Here in St. Louis zone 5/6 mine stopped blooming around the 4th of July. This
is my second year for them and they came back very nicely, robust with plenty
of spread with no pests. I keep them contained somewhat around my gaslight. As
I only plant drought resistant plants, God provided the only water. The leaves
and stems are now green and red. To the same area this Spring I added Limerick
coreopsis and planted morning glory seeds which both are filling in nicely.
Next year your primrose should fill in nicely, as did mine.

Maggie from steamy St. Lou