Old 20-07-2003, 06:52 AM
Bill Ranseen

Default Mattock?

In article , Salty Thumb
wrote:

I could never tell the difference between a mattock and a maul, but I
once
used an axe (30" haft) break apart a 2-3 inch diameter stump and sever
some
main roots. Then I pried it out with the wide curved end of a maul (or
mattock?). If you paulbunyan the stump with the axe, I suppose you don't
need the maul and can just pick the pieces out.

wear safety glasses and keep away from toes, of course.

-- Salty

A maul, like an axe, has a blade in line with the handle. The head is
heavier and thicker than an axe, and the tool is used for splitting
wood. A mattock has the blade perpendicular to the handle and the tool
is used for digging, rooting, grubbing, etc. Mattocks are usually made
with another blade opposite: pick mattock has a pick on one side and
mattock on the other, axe mattock an axe and a mattock.