Old 18-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Mattock?

Is this what I need? I can clip/prune/lop intrusive seedling(!) trees
and whatnot, but I keep stepping on 2" tall stubs (and the devils keep
sprouting from the 'stump'). Should I invest in a mattock (or some
other digging tool) to whack these suckers slightly below-ground? I
really don't have the energy or strength to dig up the entire root
mass. And at this point, creating divots in my back yard "lawn" is the
least of my worries.

If a mattock seems appropriate, any recommendations for something
sturdy enough to do the job? I've just looked at a couple of web sites
and see a 36", 5lb gadget (TrueTemper). I think, perhaps, something
with a longer handle and more weight might require less total effort.
Old 18-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Salty Thumb

Frogleg wrote in
:

Is this what I need? I can clip/prune/lop intrusive seedling(!) trees
and whatnot, but I keep stepping on 2" tall stubs (and the devils keep
sprouting from the 'stump'). Should I invest in a mattock (or some
other digging tool) to whack these suckers slightly below-ground? I
really don't have the energy or strength to dig up the entire root
mass. And at this point, creating divots in my back yard "lawn" is the
least of my worries.

If a mattock seems appropriate, any recommendations for something
sturdy enough to do the job? I've just looked at a couple of web sites
and see a 36", 5lb gadget (TrueTemper). I think, perhaps, something
with a longer handle and more weight might require less total effort.

I could never tell the difference between a mattock and a maul, but I once
used an axe (30" haft) break apart a 2-3 inch diameter stump and sever some
main roots. Then I pried it out with the wide curved end of a maul (or
mattock?). If you paulbunyan the stump with the axe, I suppose you don't
need the maul and can just pick the pieces out.

wear safety glasses and keep away from toes, of course.

-- Salty
Old 20-07-2003, 06:52 AM
Bill Ranseen

In article , Salty Thumb
wrote:

I could never tell the difference between a mattock and a maul, but I
once
used an axe (30" haft) break apart a 2-3 inch diameter stump and sever
some
main roots. Then I pried it out with the wide curved end of a maul (or
mattock?). If you paulbunyan the stump with the axe, I suppose you don't
need the maul and can just pick the pieces out.

wear safety glasses and keep away from toes, of course.

-- Salty

A maul, like an axe, has a blade in line with the handle. The head is
heavier and thicker than an axe, and the tool is used for splitting
wood. A mattock has the blade perpendicular to the handle and the tool
is used for digging, rooting, grubbing, etc. Mattocks are usually made
with another blade opposite: pick mattock has a pick on one side and
mattock on the other, axe mattock an axe and a mattock.
Old 20-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Warren

Bill Ranseen wrote:

A maul, like an axe, has a blade in line with the handle. The head is
heavier and thicker than an axe, and the tool is used for splitting
wood. A mattock has the blade perpendicular to the handle and the tool
is used for digging, rooting, grubbing, etc. Mattocks are usually made
with another blade opposite: pick mattock has a pick on one side and
mattock on the other, axe mattock an axe and a mattock.

Tossing in a couple of cents here...

A small hand-mattock is great for planting. It beats the hell out of a
trowel. Instead of shoveling a small hole, you use the mattock to
more-or-less scoop-out enough soil for your hole in one smooth, repeated
motion. And if you encounter small roots while planting, you don't even
need to change tools. If you don't already have a hand-sized mattock,
run out and buy one today.

As far as the original question about chopping off the stubs of little
tree already mowed-down (or even not yet mowed down), if you don't mind
the divots in the lawn, sure, a mattock will work. Unless you have so
many of these mini-trees to chop that you don't even want to think about
kneeling down and using a hand-sized mattock, I'd go for the hand-sized
mattock instead of spending the money on a larger sized one that you may
not get much use out of. You'll also be able to take smaller, more
focused divots that you'll be able to replace as well.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 20-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Salty Thumb

Bill Ranseen wrote in
:

In article , Salty Thumb
wrote:

I could never tell the difference between a mattock and a maul, but I
once used an axe (30" haft) break apart a 2-3 inch diameter stump and
sever some main roots. Then I pried it out with the wide curved end
of a maul (or mattock?). If you paulbunyan the stump with the axe, I
suppose you don't need the maul and can just pick the pieces out.

wear safety glasses and keep away from toes, of course.

-- Salty

A maul, like an axe, has a blade in line with the handle. The head is
heavier and thicker than an axe, and the tool is used for splitting
wood. A mattock has the blade perpendicular to the handle and the tool
is used for digging, rooting, grubbing, etc. Mattocks are usually made
with another blade opposite: pick mattock has a pick on one side and
mattock on the other, axe mattock an axe and a mattock.

Thanks for those descriptions. The thing I was using had a small square
blade parallel with the handle on one side and on the other side was a
slightly curved blade (4-5x the length of the square part) perpendicular
to the handle I guess it could be used for hacking at wood, but it
doesn't have very good balance for that (plus it was very old and had
lost it's edge) but the curved end was very good for digging and breaking
up soil. Does it sound like an axe mattock to you?

- Salty

P.S. frogleg - sorry for hijacking the thread ... sounds like if the
digging (curved end) of your mattock is sharp, it would work well for
knifing out small stumps. The one on mine is dull like the axe-head.

Old 20-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:44:40 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

Bill Ranseen wrote in
:

In article , Salty Thumb
wrote:

[...]

'sOK. Given today's weather (H&H) I'm inclined to let the dratted
treelings become a forest anyhow. I had a small axe once, but
yard-saled it after I split my knee open trying to make kindling. I
wonder -- do woodchucks actually eat wood? I could get one and put it
in an open-bottomed cage and just move it around the lawn. :-)

I think a mattock may be what I need. These 'stumps' are 1/4" to 1/2"
in diameter. Mostly. If I could get 'em with a couple of whacks, I'd
be happy.
Old 21-07-2003, 06:43 AM
Bill Ranseen

In article , Salty Thumb
wrote:

Thanks for those descriptions. The thing I was using had a small square
blade parallel with the handle on one side and on the other side was a
slightly curved blade (4-5x the length of the square part) perpendicular
to the handle I guess it could be used for hacking at wood, but it
doesn't have very good balance for that (plus it was very old and had
lost it's edge) but the curved end was very good for digging and breaking
up soil. Does it sound like an axe mattock to you?

Not sure what you're describing, tho side 2 is mattock-like. It also
sounds a bit like an old shipbuilders adze. There are quite a few
configurations for these tools and there used to be a lot more versions
available, like for railroad building.
- Salty

P.S. frogleg - sorry for hijacking the thread ... sounds like if the
digging (curved end) of your mattock is sharp, it would work well for
knifing out small stumps. The one on mine is dull like the axe-head

For me, an axe-mattock is the tool of choice for grubbing out stumps.
It's hard work, requires practice to swing the tool accurately and with
force, and it's potentially dangerous: Rule #1: Never aim the thing
anywhere near any body parts (and be aware of possible repercussions if
it bounces off what you hit). Work goes much faster if the tool si
sharp, too.

[IMG] code is On

Mattock pixi Gardening 3 05-05-2004 02:02 PM
Mattock pixi Gardening 0 05-05-2004 11:02 AM
Mattock pixi Gardening 7 05-05-2004 05:02 AM