Old 20-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Drakanthus

Default Vine Weevel

Does anyone have a solution to getting rid of vine weevil. My garden is
over
run with them. South Yorkshire gardener

I understand you can get some sort of biological control for them now
(possibly nematode based). There are also chemical soil drenches that kill
them, however these are very expensive for anything other than a few patio
tubs. We occasionally get vine weevils in container grown plants and when we
do we throw away the entire plant, compost the lot into the dustbin. We have
never had them in open garden soil though - I think there must be predators
that find their white juicy bodies a tasty morsel. We don't use any
pesticides at all now, and leave that job to the blackbirds, sparrows, frogs
and toads. A wildlife pond next to the garden works wonders.

I've been plagued with slugs in previous years but since switching to
working with nature rather than trying to selectively poison elements of it,
the number of slugs and other pests such as caterpillars has dramatically
fallen.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).