Old 20-07-2003, 09:53 AM
pete newman

Default Vine Weevel

Does anyone have a solution to getting rid of vine weevil. My garden is over
run with them. South Yorkshire gardener

Old 20-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Amanda Pope

I use a fine pellit called suscongreen as standard in the nursery to prevent
it.(it is mixed with in the compost)

I expect you can dig the stuff into the soil but it costs a fortune. and it
is quite a nasty chemical to handle.
Vine weavle isant usualy that much of a problem in the open garden, there
again it seems to extend its tastes every year.what bad luck to have such
an infection.

check the local horticultural suppliers for this and other products.
I dont think there is a domestic vine weevle chemical on the market.

ww.arghamvillage.co.uk

Old 20-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Drakanthus

Does anyone have a solution to getting rid of vine weevil. My garden is
over
run with them. South Yorkshire gardener

I understand you can get some sort of biological control for them now
(possibly nematode based). There are also chemical soil drenches that kill
them, however these are very expensive for anything other than a few patio
tubs. We occasionally get vine weevils in container grown plants and when we
do we throw away the entire plant, compost the lot into the dustbin. We have
never had them in open garden soil though - I think there must be predators
that find their white juicy bodies a tasty morsel. We don't use any
pesticides at all now, and leave that job to the blackbirds, sparrows, frogs
and toads. A wildlife pond next to the garden works wonders.

I've been plagued with slugs in previous years but since switching to
working with nature rather than trying to selectively poison elements of it,
the number of slugs and other pests such as caterpillars has dramatically
fallen.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 20-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Rod

"pete newman" wrote in message ...
Does anyone have a solution to getting rid of vine weevil. My garden is over
run with them. South Yorkshire gardener

In containers, Bio Provado will see 'em off. In open ground the only option a know of is the nematode type preparations - very
expensive on a large area. Having said that VW isn't usually much of a problem in open ground even if present in quite large
numbers. Main problem is in containers or in very intensively cultivated tiny enclosed gardens.

Rod

Old 20-07-2003, 05:42 PM
bnd777

Water with a solution of Armillotox every 10 days IT WORKS

"pete newman" wrote in message
Does anyone have a solution to getting rid of vine weevil. My garden is

over
run with them. South Yorkshire gardener

Free Akebia vine to a good home (or bad, I don't care) Brian & Mary Bigler Gardening 11 11-05-2010 05:36 PM
Hummingbird Vine=Trumpet Vine? Suzie-Q Gardening 3 16-01-2005 12:05 AM
Vine weevil preferences Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 06:20 PM
Potato Vine Pruning? Fleemo Gardening 1 07-02-2003 08:45 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM