Old 20-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Rod

Default I thought virburum`s were tough :-(

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message ...
About two months ago I planted a Viburnum sargentii Onondaga, looking
at it today I find that a number of leaves are brown and dry, it looks
like when things get cold but it can hardly be that this year. I cannot
see any bugs and have looked in books but still dont know the reason,
any help plese

Could just be stressed by heat and drought, another possibility (hope I'm wrong) could just be be 'Sudden Oak Death' Viburnum seems
to be one of the more susceptible genera to the fungus Phytophthora ramorum, a relatively newly discovered member of the
Phytophthora group of fungi. This particular species is causing damage mainly to Oaks in the USA atm but has been found in the UK on
ornamentals. Phytophthora species include many very damaging diseases (Potato Blight amongst others) of food crops, trees and
ornamentals. That's about all I know on the subject atm but a web search should yield much more if you need to know.

Rod