Old 20-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Ron

Default Hedge renovation update

Urglers.

Thanks for the replies so far but I do not think that any of the methods
described to get rid of the ivy "infection" in my privet are practicable.

I've now spent a few hours cutting back the hedge inside my garden and have
left the other side (Along an unmade cul-de-sac.) until some time in the
future. The ivy has layered itself everywhere so that digging out is not
possible. I've used a vicious three pronged tool to try to grub out the ivy
but all I've done is to comb the stuff (!) - there's dozens of long strands
poking out from around all the privet's stems and the ivy's roots/shoots
extend about a yard into the awful lawn.

I thought of using SBK but note that the instructions say mix it with
parafin and dilute with water before applying to ivy As parafin is likely
to kill the privet, does anyone know of some other way of killing the ivy
without killing the privet?

Regards

Ron