Old 20-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Ron

Default Hedge renovation update

Urglers.

Thanks for the replies so far but I do not think that any of the methods
described to get rid of the ivy "infection" in my privet are practicable.

I've now spent a few hours cutting back the hedge inside my garden and have
left the other side (Along an unmade cul-de-sac.) until some time in the
future. The ivy has layered itself everywhere so that digging out is not
possible. I've used a vicious three pronged tool to try to grub out the ivy
but all I've done is to comb the stuff (!) - there's dozens of long strands
poking out from around all the privet's stems and the ivy's roots/shoots
extend about a yard into the awful lawn.

I thought of using SBK but note that the instructions say mix it with
parafin and dilute with water before applying to ivy As parafin is likely
to kill the privet, does anyone know of some other way of killing the ivy
without killing the privet?

Regards

Ron

Old 20-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Janet Sanderson

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:54:19 +0100, "Ron"
wrote:

[...]

Ron, I am no expert, but I have just got rid of a Hawthorn/ivey hedge
with additional Hops and White bell thing (Convulvulus?) . We dug the
whole lot out, and of course everything is shooting back up again, so
I have sprayed withSBK which I was put of using due to parafin, and
Ground elder I have sprayed with Roundup (the propper stuff )- I was
very carefull. most seems to have gone, but I get occasional shoots of
allsorts, but I just pull them out. I have planted Prunus lusitanica
in its place, as I thought I may have more controll over this. Don't
know about Privet, I have some in another part of the garden, but
tempted to pull this out too.
not sure if this will help
Janet
Old 20-07-2003, 10:05 PM
bnd777

As the roots extend across the lawn why not expose them and simply paint the
roots with creosote then the ivy will die and eventually you can pull it out

Old 21-07-2003, 02:55 AM
Essjay001

Ron wrote:
Urglers.

Thanks for the replies so far but I do not think that any of the
methods described to get rid of the ivy "infection" in my privet are
practicable.
the awful lawn.

I thought of using SBK but note that the instructions say mix it with
parafin and dilute with water before applying to ivy As parafin is
likely to kill the privet, does anyone know of some other way of
killing the ivy without killing the privet?

I have a similar problem but want to keep the Ivy and kill the bramble
growing with it. I simply squirted some glyphosphate into a bag and inserted
some ends of the bramble into it and tied it up. A week or so later bramble
through-out the ivy screen is definately wilting.
Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Old 21-07-2003, 02:55 AM
ned

bnd777 wrote:
As the roots extend across the lawn why not expose them and simply
paint the roots with creosote then the ivy will die and eventually
you can pull it out

Creosote?
Shhhhhh! We need to find an alternative word.

--
ned

Old 21-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Ron

"bnd777" wrote in message
As the roots extend across the lawn why not expose them and simply paint

the
roots with creosote then the ivy will die and eventually you can pull it

out

As I said, the ivy has layered itself and sends up growth in the lawn.
Perhaps there are two varieties of ivy in my garden one on the ground and
one in the hedge - who knows?

Exposing a layered root and painting with creosote will do nothing for the
plants layered around the stems of the privet. But creosote these days is
nothing like the stuff my grandfather used to collect hot from the gasworks
in Podsmead Gloucester!

Regards

Ron

Old 21-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:05:13 +0000 (UTC), Essjay001 wrote:

I have a similar problem but want to keep the Ivy and kill the bramble
growing with it. I simply squirted some glyphosphate into a bag and inserted
some ends of the bramble into it and tied it up. A week or so later bramble
through-out the ivy screen is definately wilting.

Was the glyphosphate in the bag at the usual dilution, or was it
the concentrate that you are supposed to dilute 100:1?

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 21-07-2003, 06:55 PM
John Rouse

In article , Ron
writes

Thanks for the replies so far but I do not think that any of the methods
described to get rid of the ivy "infection" in my privet are practicable.

[snip]

I thought of using SBK but note that the instructions say mix it with
parafin and dilute with water before applying to ivy As parafin is likely
to kill the privet, does anyone know of some other way of killing the ivy
without killing the privet?

I bought some "ivy killer" in a spray bottle at the garden centre. I'm
very sensitive to ivy, so get rid of it where I can, despite it being
good for the bees. I have yet to try the product, but will let you know
the results once I've tried it.

John
--
John Rouse
Old 22-07-2003, 04:11 AM
Essjay001

Rodger Whitlock wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:05:13 +0000 (UTC), Essjay001 wrote:

I have a similar problem but want to keep the Ivy and kill the
bramble growing with it. I simply squirted some glyphosphate into a
bag and inserted some ends of the bramble into it and tied it up. A
week or so later bramble through-out the ivy screen is definately
wilting.

Was the glyphosphate in the bag at the usual dilution, or was it
the concentrate that you are supposed to dilute 100:1?

The label says 8 g/l glyphosphate, I assume that means grams per litre.
Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Renovation a clay soil lawn coykiesaol Lawns 0 25-04-2011 09:04 AM
Lawn repair/renovation questions Kay Lancaster Gardening 0 24-03-2006 03:42 AM
Lawn repair/renovation questions Warren Gardening 0 23-03-2006 09:28 PM
Hedge renovation? Ron United Kingdom 3 19-07-2003 10:23 PM
Best Sprayer for Lawn Renovation? sunslight Lawns 6 23-04-2003 11:56 AM