Old 20-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Warren

Default Mattock?

Bill Ranseen wrote:

A maul, like an axe, has a blade in line with the handle. The head is
heavier and thicker than an axe, and the tool is used for splitting
wood. A mattock has the blade perpendicular to the handle and the tool
is used for digging, rooting, grubbing, etc. Mattocks are usually made
with another blade opposite: pick mattock has a pick on one side and
mattock on the other, axe mattock an axe and a mattock.

Tossing in a couple of cents here...

A small hand-mattock is great for planting. It beats the hell out of a
trowel. Instead of shoveling a small hole, you use the mattock to
more-or-less scoop-out enough soil for your hole in one smooth, repeated
motion. And if you encounter small roots while planting, you don't even
need to change tools. If you don't already have a hand-sized mattock,
run out and buy one today.

As far as the original question about chopping off the stubs of little
tree already mowed-down (or even not yet mowed down), if you don't mind
the divots in the lawn, sure, a mattock will work. Unless you have so
many of these mini-trees to chop that you don't even want to think about
kneeling down and using a hand-sized mattock, I'd go for the hand-sized
mattock instead of spending the money on a larger sized one that you may
not get much use out of. You'll also be able to take smaller, more
focused divots that you'll be able to replace as well.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: